Sunday, January 20, 2008

I am a "Hypeist", so what?

Well, India did defeat Australia to create History. First victory of a subcontinent team at Perth, first Indian win at Perth, Breaking the 16 match streak twice in a row by Indians, Defeating Australia in Australia in 4+ years, first defeat for Ponting as captain at home and so on. The list of ways to ascribe this win is endless. I salute the Indian team efforts.

I was extremely fortunate to be watching the match on TV when India defeated Australia at Adelaide in 2003 and am thankful that I witnessed Shaun Tait being bowled to give India this victory. I almost remember all the commentary/follow-through after that match and saw Dravid with tears of joy welling up. It was amazing.

It is amazing yet again to see Kumble talk about having two options - "To Go Home or Win and prove ourselves". Yes, I recall telling my friends that those are the exact two options he had after the Sydney fiasco. He chose the best option available, just defeat the Aussies and prove yourself. Amazing.

Interestingly, Sunny Gavaskar was talking about "Hypeists" - those who wrote off India at Perth and also went to say, they would be trounced within 3 days. Those around me will be first to pop up say - Shreeni is a hypeist. Indeed I am. I said the exact same things. And I am very happy I have been proven wrong. Very Very Happy.

Having said that, whats wrong with being a hypeist. Having followed Indian Cricket for more than a decade and a half, its amazing how India manage to crop up the biggest surprises and shocks. Its unbelievable (often inconcievable) that they could lose a match and they would and on some other day, they will come right back and do the unthinkable to defeating the great opposition in harsh conditions. Giving this topsy turvy ride, there are two options, play it safe and diplomatic and always put out a balanced option. Sunny has to do it, he is a commentator after all and good for him.

But I do let my emotions flow and say what I really feel. Also, as you learn about Indian Cricket, you often feel disappointed after being let down by some bad Cricket. My mom used to tell me that disappointment comes with expectation. Isn't it then best that you set your expectations low, specially in a situation when the stacks are heavily loaded against the Men in Blue so as to avoid deep disappointment?

That said, I am in no way indicating that I did not support the Indian team. In fact I was wishing them the best all the time and cheered with every good session in this Test match. But I kept my expectation. Remember that at Sydney, defeat came to us because of one bad over, three wickets after having worked hard for 14+ good sessions?

So, I am a hypeist and don't mind being one.

ps: I am yet to get the word hypeist in an online dictionary. I am also assuming that I heard the word right and this is what it was intended to be. If I am wrong, excuse me.

No comments: